Thursday, July 14, 2011

Poetry Schmoetry

A Song I Wrote for Myself on the Dismal Eve of my 31st Birthday. (Maybe I should think of another title...something shorter.)

Don't know where I thought I'd be,
or who, or what, if anybody,
but with three decades behind me,
it wasn't s'posed to be here.

Had in mind what I would do,
but opportunities were far and few.
I told myself I was just passing through,
and yet I'm still here.

So life goes on and on,
never asking if you're coming too.
There's a moment you realize it's gone;
your chance is behind you,
it's gone.

It hurts to know I bear the fault,
too scared to leap for fear I'd fall.
Now sinking slowly against this wall
also known as 'here.'

Who can know which road to choose.
Each choice a risk, another chance to lose.
You can't get hurt if you never move--
That's how I ended up here.

So life goes on and on,
never asking if you're coming too.
There's a moment you realize it's gone;
your chance is behind you,
it's gone.

But one day in the future near,
when I have set aside my fears,
I'll take the wheel and finally steer
somewhere away from here.

Take back my life and finally steer,
away from here.

11 comments:

  1. Powerful. I can remember a point in my life where I thought the same thing. But I guess at this stage in my life I'd have to write another poem that discusses how it's never too late to work towards your dreams and goals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really great! :)

    I like the part with "But one day in the future near,when I have set aside my fears,
    I'll take the wheel and finally steer
    somewhere away from here."

    Very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "So life goes on and on, never asking if you're coming too," -- How true is that! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The flow and rhyme of the poem is well done. Thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So very true. Profound and sad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a song? I'd love to hear its music--beautiful lines!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful! I agree - it flows so well. I love the lines "It's hurts to know I bear the fault, - too scared to leap for fear I'd fall." Gorgeous entry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This rocked my world. You are amazing! I have no words...
    http://abookagirlajourney.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a song with the same title! What are the chances?!?!

    Ang, I love you! That poem was intensely personal and BEAUTIFULLY written.
    I think my favorite part was "also known as here." Nice flow, my friend. Your teacher was right, and so was Ellie R. (I give nicknames to the 1st ladies, it makes them feel more like my friends. My favorite was Barbie B.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have completely been here. Your writing is beautiful, completely captures that overwhelming sense of disappointment that comes when you feel stagnant. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete